Saturday, November 18, 2006

EVEREST

I cannot for the life of me understand the need to climb Mt Everest. I know it comes from deep within but I have other goals and dreams that are not so grandiose in nature. This expensive dream of reaching the summit can cost around $40,000 as well.

The Discovery Channel is carrying an 8 part series about a group of people and their quest to climb Mt Everest. It seems that the documentary was mainly about Mark Inglis, a double amputee, who lost his legs in a prior attempt 20-odd years ago and now was attempting it again using his artificial legs. He is portrayed as brave and undaunting in his climb to the top. I agree that this must have taken super human determination and strength.

Earlier this year, Mark Inglis and his group were generally maligned around the world when it was discovered that they left a man to die as they filed passed him on their way to the summit. This was caught on film but won't be shown on the Discovery documentary. In my opinion, this is as important as Mark reaching the summit because this is life: many people die each year on Everest trying to master the king of mountains. And I will never understand in my lifetime the inhumanity exhibited by the expedition that would allow them to leave a man in a snow cave to die alone so that their mission could be accomplished. How very very shameful and a sad statement about priorities
.

4 comments:

Iris said...

I have to say, I totally agree with you. I cannot imagine going past someone who was still alive and not helping them. Of course, that is probably the nurse in me.

Mother Jones RN said...

It's a hollow victory to stand on top of a mountain when you leave others below you to die. Shame on them.

MJ

RX850 said...

The person they left to die wasn't from their group, but that still doesn't absolve them. If you'd like to read more about the controversy, just google Mark Inglis. Even Sir Edmond Hilary was appalled by this.

Florence said...



I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their email at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!